Thursday, February 2, 2017

A Summary of My Secret Shopper Assignment
I had never been in the library I went to. It had a friendly atmosphere and the librarian who helped me was fairly friendly. I said, "I am really in the mood to read a good book. Could you help me find one?" This was really weird because I have never ever asked this, even though I have heard so many other people ask it before. It was a good experience to see what it is like from the other side of the desk. I found it unnerving because you have no idea what to expect. (Which is a reminder to me to be extra friendly to people, because it can be uncomfortable on the other side of that desk) I wrote in my paper in detail about what was said and how she searched for books to suggest to me. I thought it went well because she did start by asking me what the last thing I read that I enjoyed and was like what I was in the mood for now was... And even though I should have suspected she'd start with that, I hadn't thought of it beforehand, so I said the first book that came to mind - a book I haven't actually read in years. It still went well though. She started with that and then she did ask me what I liked about it. She only used Goodreads and Google to help me but she ended up suggesting a Dixie Cash book that looked like what I was pretending to want. I don't really know because I never read the book. I don't even have a card for the library where I went, so I snuck the book back and got out of there without her seeing me leave. After all that trouble, I didn't want her to see me leave without a book. I didn't want to hurt her Readers' Adviser feelings. One of the things I mentioned in my paper was that the supervisors where I work are REALLY enthusiastic and off the top of their head-knowledgeable about SO many books and genres, so I was kind of judging this librarian's response by them. At the end of my paper I kind of wondered if this was fair because the characteristics that make my supervisors like that are of a personal nature; they both read an unusual amount in their free, personal time just because they want to and are not faking their enthusiasm - book lovers is just who they are it seems. I wrote at the end of my paper that while the librarian I encountered was not overly enthusiastic and naturally knowledgeable, she was courteous and got the job done with the use of an RA tool, so I concluded that she did a good job.

4 comments:

  1. I’m glad the librarian you worked with was successful in finding you a book that you were satisfied with. I also felt a little awkward when I asked the librarian I worked with for a book because I’ve never done that before. That was a good point that you made about your supervisor’s enthusiasm and judging that librarian by that enthusiasm because it may have been a little unfair. She may have been having an off day or been distracted by something with her job so that might be something to keep in mind as a reader’s advisor. I tend to get distracted when I have multiple tasks going on at once, and I don’t always feel invested in the present moment when that does happen. I will be conscious to remind myself of that when it does happen so I can invest myself in their search for a book that they will genuinely enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jodi,

    I understand that awkward feeling of being on the other side of the desk. I was nervous and felt silly asking for readers' advisory. I felt that my librarian did a great job, but some of the articles we read suggested that she missed the mark a bit. I think that if you felt she did well for you then the transaction was a successful transaction. However, I do feel that librarians should show enthusiasm whether or not they have knowledge about the subject/genre. A good attitude and enthusiasm are a part of good customer service to me. Again, I say that if you felt it went well then it was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think even if we're not enthusiastic about the books a patron is seeking, we can be enthusiastic about the patrons and helping them find something that speaks to them. We all have off days and patrons that are annoying or off-putting, but I think that should be no more than an occasional occurrence. I sure hope I can do a decent job when folks come to my library and ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the experience was positive overall!

    ReplyDelete